Warning Signs and the Dangers associated with Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

By December 23, 2011November 24th, 2022No Comments

Carbon monoxide, or carbonous oxide, is an invisible, gas that is very deadly to all oxygen-dependent life forms. Carbon monoxide threshold levels range in human beings, however, an exposure of one hundred p.p.m. (parts per millionth) or greater is considered dangerous. Carbon monoxide regularly infiltrates our everyday lives through cars, equipment operated by gasoline, free-standing heaters, furnaces, stoves as well as burners. We easily and inadvertently pull this toxic, odorless gas in through our lungs.

A light exposure to carbon monoxide can generate mild signs of bewilderment, wooziness, headache, giddiness along with an influenza feeling. Much larger exposures, as well as exposures for a longer period of time, are extremely harmful to the central nervous system, the cardiovascular system, and results in hypoxia (an inadequate quantity of oxygen to reach the body’s cells). The poisoning created by carbon monoxide is deadly. Long-term exposure to lower levels is just as damaging in the long-term often creating melancholy and loss of memory. Serious birth defects in the infants of women who were exposed to hazardous amounts of carbon monoxide in the course of their pregnancy are a threat as well.

The prevention of carbon monoxide poisoning is a major public health concern. Fortunately, the reduction of carbon monoxide poisoning is very easily prevented by early detection of carbonous oxide gas through the use of a carbon monoxide alarm (CO detector). This reasonably affordable device is placed near the floor, or near the ceiling, and designed to warn us of its discovery of carbon monoxide by alarm. On average, a CO detector has a lifespan of 7 years prior to replacing. However, that does not include a straightforward battery replacement. Carbon monoxide detectors are mandatory in new construction.

(936) 465-9191